Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Ignorance is NOT Bliss

As of lately, I'm becoming more concerned with my fellow college students. I admit I don't watch the news religiously--or that much at all--but I do frequently check CNN.com even if it's just to look at the headlines. But, when something such as the terrorist attacks in India happen, students should be informed.

It just seems odd to me that people do not know about major events. What is happening in India is horrible, unexpected, and heart-breaking. If we don't know about events such as these, does it suggest that we don't care. Or are college students just too busy for the news anymore. If that is the case, it is upsetting that world events have to take a backseat to homework. Then again, I think people have a personal responsibility to at least pick up a paper once a week to get an idea of what is going on.

I guess as future journalists we just pay more attention to what is happening around us.

2 comments:

Abetcha said...

I have a close friend who hates current events. They actually give him stomach aches. But I had a talk with him. I made him realize that every event, local or international, has an impact on our lives. He promised me he would subscribe to a newspaper next week. So, yeah. I guess it is our responsiblity. =)

Elyse said...

It is not only current events that people do not pay attention to, it is just historical and important events in general. I find very often that people don't know much about history, even of our own country. I know a lot of people, even journalists, hate history (I was actually a history major before I transferred to what was then the College of Communications), but you just seem so ignorant if you have no idea when the Vietnam War took place or what president was in term during WWII. I find that as a journalist I am always learning about things I never would have thought I would be interested in. I also think that as a journalist we need to be able to have facts at the tips of our fingers and be knowledgable about famous people, events, current events, and history in order to be able to reach readers and compare the present with the past.