Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Mmm Delicious (Word of the Week)

"Palatable," an adjective meaning "pleasing to the taste." This yummy adjective came from an article in The News Gazette on page B-6, September 2, 2008. It appeared in an article with the headline "Economy forcing more to work well into 60s." According to Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, "palatable" can also be used to mean something that is "agreeable or acceptable to the mind," which is how the word was used within the article. I chose "palatable" for my word of the week because it has a unique sound to it. It is not an adjective that is often used, so when I came across it while reading the paper it caught my eye.

4 comments:

@jefollis said...

a palatable post

LKH said...

good word--and thanks for the full definition of it.

just another word to describe everyone's favorite pasttime: eating!

Abetcha said...

I like how the word rolls off my tongue. "Palatable." It almost sounds like what it means? I'm not sure if that makes sense but good word!

Eric Heisig said...

It really is a good word that describes something better than delicious. I will have to use this from now on...