Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Celebrity, Celebrity

I am at a loss as to what I should blog about this week, so I decided to blog about my first truly great experience with journalism and what I learned from it. In April I was able to cover Ebertfest for The Buzz, and while waiting in line for the movie I had never even heard of, Rufus Sewell walked out of the bathroom right next to me. Many of you are probably wondering who he is. Well I call him, "medieval bad guy", because he usually plays one, but not all the time. He has been in A Knight's Tale, The Holiday, Dark City, and Tristan and Isolde.

This was so exciting for me because I really want to report about movies or do movie reviews after I graduate. Yes, it seems like one of the more glamorous journalism jobs, but I tend to watch one new movie a week, at least, and it just seemed to fit.

This being my first celebrity interview, I was more than nervous. But, after asking him if I could interview him for the paper, and he didn't even hesitate to say yes, I began to ease up. What I realized is that I shouldn't lose my ability to interview someone, or forget everything that I have been taught just because someone is famous. We ended up talking for about thirty minutes, because people kept asking for pictures and photographs, and then he gave me one of the best compliments I've received to date. He told me that I was a great young reporter.

Since then I think that I have gained more confidence with my reporting and my ability to interview others. I am still learning all the mechanics, like all these crazy grammar rules, but I feel much better about myself as a reporter than I did a year ago.

No comments: