Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Future of Journalism...Doomed?

Is my career doomed before I even get started?

I don't know how everyone else feels about this, but I can't help but wonder what journalism will look like in ten, five or even two years. It seems that each year as I get further into my journalism classes, journalist themselves, statistics and society are telling me this is a dying profession. Maybe not so harshly, but rather, "It's a horrible time to be getting into the field." I realize people are just trying to make me aware of what I am getting myself into, but constantly hearing that can put a damper on anyone's attitude.

I think that journalist and teachers should take a different approach to informing us about the current situation. I believe were all aware of the occupation were getting ourselves into, and we wouldn't still be taking classes if we felt we couldn't do it. Journalists and teachers should just encourage us to keep on learning and become better journalist. Our profession will never die because there will always be a demand for the news, so I think this should be the governing statement told to young journalist versus the negative attitude many throw our way.

5 comments:

Erika said...

I've actually heard some positive stuff from my professors and others in the field. Some have said things along the lines of 'Your generation is going to be the one to determine the direction journalism takes.' It's going to be tough out there, but we'll weather it through. Journalists aren't going extinct... the world still needs good writers, copy editors, and columnists.

@jefollis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
@jefollis said...

I'm back. I hit publish too soon, so I deleted my error and will post again.

You are right. The whole world needs journalists. But the whole world does not have a vital press in which individuals make a living giving voice to the voiceless and speaking truth to power. What will be the business model that allows you to make a living as a journalist? Will it continue to be linked to advertising sales? Will the distribution be by phone instead of by newsprint? Probably some way I can't imagine. That's why people your age get to be in charge of the future.

Unknown said...

This is an interesting post and yes, especially being we are in our senior year, this is something that we all need to consider. Right now, as we experience this, "economic down turn," I've found that many professionals and professors are telling students to be wary of the career field we choose, no different from what we hear from some journalism instructors. In my opinion, I think journalists, more than other professions should have a greater sense of job security, as there is always a need for people who write well and have the sense for reporting. There will always be some sort of news to report, if this is your passion, go for it--despite what anyone says.

LKH said...

Who would think that after obtaining a degree from the University of Illinois, we might all be unemployed when we graduate? It's a scary idea, but one I have considered numerous times. Although I think Journalism is always going to be needed, I wonder how many of us will actually have full-time journalism jobs when it is just as easy--and cheaper--to hire freelance writers for many stories.

Hopefully, however, the owners of newspapers, magazines and broadcast media will not forget about the true journalists--the people who actually care about the truth and want others to care about it too, just to save a few dollars.